Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pregnancy: Week 11

I SURRENDER

I have been fighting the fight for the last couple of weeks but this morning I just couldn't take it anymore. I went to my Monday morning meeting as usual this morning. I proceeded to barf several times in the Panera bathroom during the meeting. Last week when I talked to the nurse midwife at Dr. P's office she said to call on Monday if I was down 4 pounds. I was down 4 pounds on Friday. Did I call? No, like a dumb dumb I wait until Monday. I call the office at 8:30 and I am informed by the receptionist that there are no practitioners in today. Fantastic. "Would you like me to put you through to the voicemail?". Sure, what the hell. I leave a message that I can't stop throwing up and I have lost 4 pounds so I would like to start IV therapy or get new drugs or something. I am close to passing out at this point.

I need a new prescription of Zophran so I go to Target to fill my script. As I am walking through the store I am thinking "what if I pass out in Target?" At least they will take me to the ER to get some fluids. I sit on the bench near the pharmacy feeling like I am gonna die and because I don't know what else to do so I email my family doc Dr. Rosenberg. I tell him I can't stop throwing up and should I come into the office or go to the ER for fluids? His response, "Come in". Great, he must have fluids in the office.

Not so much, he just wanted to see me himself. I skip the waiting area and walk back to his personal office. He comes back and looks at me, asks a few questions, and tells me to get in a room immediately and he will check me out. Meanwhile, I am very close with this office and I have been calling on them for 4 years. It is pretty embarrassing to be puking in the office trash can. Rosenberg comes in, checks me out, and tells me he is going to admit me. WHAT? I just wanted some IV fluids. I beg him not to admit me. Just what I need, I will never get any rest in the hospital. He decides to try the Outpatient IV Center first. He won't let me drive so either someone from the office will take me or I call my mom to take me to the hospital. He literally orders the MA to babysit me so I don't drive myself. THANK GOD for this man. He intervened when nobody else was there for me and he made shit happen!

Off to the IV Center I go. They have no clue who I am, what is going on, who referred me. I hang out in the waiting room with all the old people for what feels like an eternity. Finally, they decide to treat me as a new patient and start an IV. The doctor says I probably need a PICC line (central line) but he isn't going to do it without clearance from my OB. The nurse is amazing and sends me home with my very own bag of fluids on a 24 hour pump. I just bought myself daily visits to the IV Center.

I continue at the IV Center for the rest of the week. It is this big open room where everyone sits in their own lazy boy with an IV pole and various meds and fluids being infused. The nurses at this place are amazing. Although they don't know quite what to do with me. Young and pregnant with twins is not their typical patient demographic. Hyperemesis is the official name for this: basically unrelenting nausea and vomiting. It is pretty depressing to be hanging out at the hospital on Christmas Eve. Luckily they gave me a 48 hour bag so I didn't have to come in on Christmas. The fluids make a difference. Not in the nausea but my fatigue and energy level. I don't feel like I am going to pass out anymore.

I am on my second IV site since the first vein blew out on Christmas day. They usually only last about 3 days which is why they would really like to do the PICC. Dr. P would like to continue with the IV because the PICC carried increased risk of infection and is more invasive. The IV Center doc just rolls his eyes. I don't care as long as they don't take my fluids away.
My little friends. This blue bag of fluids I have to carry around all day is the hottest accessory this holiday season. You know you want one :)

On Saturday, December 26, I am 11 weeks. Lets see how big those babies are.






The size of a fig. They are just over 1 1/2 inches from head to bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment