Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jillian & Lyla 18 months

My sweet baby girls are getting big. The twins had their 18 month check up this morning. Thank goodness Grace was there, she was really a big help with mama doing it all on her own. I joked I facebook that I deserve a medal doing it on my own. Doctors appointments with twins are brutal. Its a lot with 2 crazy toddlers by yourself. It goes something like this: one baby is up on the table screaming like the doctor is trying to kill her. As I am trying to comfort her, the other child is crawling around the floor getting who knows what diseases and eating the board book she found God knows where while the doctor asks me questions about each of their development that I can barely hear because everyone is crying. I must look like a daff crazy woman as I stare blankly at him trying to remember which twin is doing what when. Good times. I am going to start wearing a tank top into that place because I come outta there a sweaty mess. I also would like to bathe my children in hand sanitizer but I digress.

Back to my original point. 18 month check up. My healthy girls are in the 35-40th % for weight and the 70th for height. Good growing for my baby beans that started off so tiny. No surprise with the way they eat. Holy moly these babies can eat. I swear I don't know where they put it but they can put it away. They eat more than their four yar old sister by far. One of my questions to the doctor was actually if I should cut them off at some point. Aunt Nicki jokes that they are like dogs and if given the chance would eat themselves to death. Dr. Tim assured me children at their age eat out of hunger not for any of the other silly reasons us adults do. So we will just keep feeding the crazies and hope we don't run out food.

My other question/concern is about their speech. They really aren't saying many actual words. They can say four words: hi, mama, dada, uh-oh. I know its not a matter of hearing or lack of comprehension because they respond appropriately and can follow directions. They know exactly what we are saying, now if we could only figure out their "twin speak". In talking to my friend Kristin who went through the same thing with her twins there isn't a whole lot we can do. Jillian knows exactly what Lyla's grunt means and responds in turn with her own grunt which just reinforces this language. Dr. Tim said if they don't add any more words in the next 3 months to let him know. He doesn't get real concerned until 2 or 2.5 and then we could look into speech therapy.

Its funny how different each child is. Grace was speaking in full sentences at 18 months. The twins sound like little cave men in comparison. Its so hard not to compare but I am also ot really worried. Grace's strengths were fine motor and language while the twins are big muscle and coordination. Give them a chair, stool, kitchen drawers and no mountain is too high. They are so curious and and so very active.

Everyday is an adventure. They amaze and astound me on a daily basis. This is Jillian and Lyla at 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment