Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Little Word

Ali Edwards has something she does every year called one little word. You choose a word that encompasses something you would like to be more intentional about. Something to keep in the back of your mind as you go about your daily life. I like the idea of this and this year I am choosing REACH.

I would like to do some things out of my comfort zone this year. Things that by stepping out of the box have the propencity to make be a better human being.

1. Running. I am not a runner. I am so not built for speed. I have spent much of the last 10 years since I have been done with gymnastics shunning excersise. This needs to change. I am 31 and I have very little cardiovascular health. I know I am not going to the gym and I dont have a lot of free time. So running it is. Its somewhat embarassing how slow I am and how I cant run more that 2 minutes but I will get there. I want to set a good example for my kids and show them being fit is important and a lifelong endeavor. Its gonna be hard and uncomfortable but my short term goal is to run a 5K in March and my long term goal is to be able to run a half hour without stopping. REACH

2. Photography. I am not a professional photographer. I am a momtographer. But I love taking pictures. It speaks to my soul. I have had the opportunity to photograph some others besides my family over the years and it is an amazing experience to give people the gift of a moment captured in time. I have found my style and I have learned enough over the last 4.5 years that I feel good about my photography. Taking pictures is not out of my comfort zone but turing my hobby into a business is. I am going to work on building my portfolio this year and consider being a "professional". I don't know if I have the time or the market but I do know if makes me happy and its something I am passionate about. REACH

In addition to these things my overall goal (I dont do resolutions) for 2012 is to listen to my gut.
"Don't let the noise of others opinions drown out your own inner voice"--Steve Jobs.

The time is now. If I have learned anything over the last year its life is short. My former gymnastics coach (US World team coach and coach of the current world champion) shared this on his facebook wall and it rang so true for me:

You may think you are postponing the longing of your soul until life aligns itself with your vision, until elements conspire to be more favorable...but as it happens, life just lolls along at the same remarkable consistent and disinterested cadence. Life is impartial. YOUR personal, subjective life (dreams, satisfactions, contentment, achievements, vision, fullness, passion, aspirations) begins when YOU begin.

2 comments:

  1. What great goals! running will get easier...just get some good tunes and you'll see with each run you'll be able to go longer and longer. I'm so glad you are pursuing photography too. You definitely have talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your goals! You have talent and eye and should you pursue photography will do great! (and anytime you need portfolio guinea pigs, let me know! I'll have a newborn soon that you're welcome to finagle and wrangle and do what you want with. HAHA! Plus... this family hasn't had an actual "sesson" taken in about 2 years. BOO!)

    And running... keep it up girl! I'm so excited that you tackled that 5k! I was looking up some for later this summer/fall because I need some kind of goal to make myself get back into shape. I'm afraid its going to be a LOOOONG road after this baby!

    ReplyDelete