Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pregnancy: Week 13

LISTEN TO ME!

It has been a rough week for me. My PICC line was really hurting my arm. Went to my doctors appointment on Tuesday and Dr. P doesn'r seem to really be grasping how much it hurt. I knew something is just not right. I am so tired of people not listening to me. He is so concerned about getting the TPN in me that I don't think he really cares about anything else.

Spent another night in the ER Monday night. My home nurse came to my house to start the TPN and as soon as she started it I has this awful pain in my upper right chest. SO, off to the ER we go AGAIN. They really didn't do anything, told me my potassium was low and gave me some pottassium. Didn't want to do another chest xray to verify the placement of the PICC because there just did it a couple of days ago. Told me to follow up with Dr. P the next day.

I feel like I am going to die. I am so sick of feeling sick. I just feel nauseous and exhausted all the time. In addition, I am in pain with this stupid PICC. I can't sleep because it hurts so bad. On Friday I called my mom to come over because I felt like I was going to pass out. I called P's office again and talked to the nurse midwife who once again just wasn't getting it. She wanted my home health nurse to come out to the house to look at it. When the home health people called I finally said, "I am not going to do this anymore. There is something wrong with this PICC and if they want to continue with the TPN they are going to pull it and put a new one in my left arm." Apparently this message was finally heard and the nurse midwife sent me to the hospital to get it pulled. Standard procedure is doing an ultrasound to check for blood clots before pulling it. After waiting for what seemed like forever laying down on the waiting room couch, results came back that I indeed had a blood clot in that arm. What do ya know!? Seriously people?? Apparently I am not dramatic enough. They decided to admit to treat the blood clot and try and get the hyperemesis under control since I had lost even more weight and was severely dehydrated from not having the TPN running for 24 hours.

So I got to spend my weekend in the post partum wing of the hospital. I saw a hematologist, hospitalist, and OB in my short stay. It was actually the best thing that could probably happen to me because I got fluids/vitamins and was forced to stay in bed except to go to the bathroom. My right arm feels better but it still pretty sore. My left arm feels great, how the PICC is supposed to feel!


My new PICC line in my left arm

Funny thing that happens everytime I am in the hospital. I come across a nurse or other medical professional taking care of me that has twins. It is so crazy! I have recieved a lot of advice and words of comfort that I will indeed survive :)

The babies are the size of medium shrimp, hahah. About 3 inches long and weighing about an ounce each.




No comments:

Post a Comment