Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pregnancy: Week 14

ADMITTED AGAIN

A new development with this pregnancy. My mom came over to take to me an accupuncture appointment (hey I will try anything at this point) and I had an episode where I couldn't breathe. All of a sudden I had this terrible burning in my chest and then I literally couldn't breathe and was gasping for air. I ended up on the floor throwing up. Thank God my mom was there becasue she took me in to Dr. P's office who sent me directly to the ER. It only lasted about 30 minutes but was very scary. There is nothing worse than feeling like you can't breathe.

They decided to do a VQ scan in the ER becasue I am allergic to Iodine and they didn't want to do a CT scan. They explained the procedure and I was in the room when I decided the risk of radiation to the babies was too high and refused to do the test. After waiting for 2.5 hours for the dang test. I just had this overwhelming mommy moment where I felt like I had fight for these babies because really who else was going to? They had to rule out a blood clot in my lung so they decided to do a CT scan and treat me with steroids before the test because of my allergy. The CT scan came back clear for the blood clot but showed Atelectasis. Atelectasis is when the tiny air pockets in your lungs kind of fold in on themselves. They think it is from throwing up so much and it changing the pressure in my chest cavity. You can read more here.

The next day (Thursday) it happened again. I called Dr. P's office and told them and they really didn't know what to tell me. Really people?? I can't breathe and we don't see this as a problem?!? I decided to make an appointment with my family doctor Rosenberg on Friday.

As usual Dr. Rosenberg made shit happen. He saw me and decided that this was unacceptable and he was going to admit to the hospital. He wasn't convinced that it was the Atelectasis causing the acute breathing episodes.  So once again I spent my weekend at lovely Allegiance Health. I got every test under the sun: EKG, arterial blood sample, ECHO, and a chest x-ray. The pulmonary doctor decided that it was probably acid reflux. My esophagus was so irritated from all the throwing up that the acid was coming up and my esophagus was clamping down so I couldn't breathe. They put me on protonics hoping that would solve the problem and so far so good.

So I am now out of the hospital and laying low. I am actually starting to feel a little better in terms of the hyperemesis and I am hoping to God that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Lets take a look at how big the babies are this week:


They are the size of lemons, about 3.5 inches long from head to bottom and weighing about an ounce in a half.

How about how big I am this week :)



No comments:

Post a Comment