Sunday, March 14, 2010

Poop, Pee, Potties, and Panties

Potty training oh potty training. I was pretty sure Grace was going to be the 5 year old at kindergarden wearing diapers. She has this stubborn streak and if she doesn't want to do something there is no changing her mind. Anytime we even mentioned the potty she said "No potty!" and "I NOT a big girl, I'm a baby".

Not that we tried that hard. I attempted to do the one day potty training method last summer and it was a disaster. She obviously wasn't ready. I decided to give it another 6 months.

There was always something, I said, "after the holidays" then "after Disney". I was just too sick in December and January and then just too tired to bother. BUT I knew if I waited any longer I was going to be too pregnant and too big and there was a chance she would regress when the twins were born. So I decided this was the weekend. We were going to go cold turkey. No more diapers, panties only. Knowing my daughter, she would be very upset to make a mess in her pants and on the floor and I hoped to God that would motivate her. I started prepping her on Monday, telling her that after her diapers were gone, there were no more. That all the teeny tiny babies needed diapers and she was a big girl who goes pee-pee and poo-poo on the potty and wears panties.

Well, all that prep must have worked because on Wednesday at Nana's house she decided she wanted to wear Cinderella panties. Papa told her if she was going to wear big girl pants she had to go on the potty. She was finally ready! My mom sat with her and coaxed her and cheered her on for hours. She finally did it and was so proud. We all continued to work with her and our biggest obstacle was that she could hold it and hold it for hours. On Saturday, she finally turned it on instead of waiting until it fell out of her. We even took her to the mall and she went on a big potty. HUGE success!! She still won't tell us when she has to go, we just see her kind of dancing around or we just set her on the potty and she goes if she has to. Poop is a whole other story but she has gone in the potty multiple times after a lot of crying and drama. BUT for all intensive purposes Miss G is potty trained! Woo-hoo!!!




She gets a Hershey Kiss and gets to put a sticker on her potty chart when she goes in the potty. She is so proud of herself!!

My big girl ...*sniff* *sniff*

I am trying not to think about the next time we go through this it will be x2.......

...or the fact that we get a whole 4 months diaper free? lol

1 comment:

  1. YAYYY Grace! I bet that will feel great to be diaper free for 4 months!! :)

    ReplyDelete