Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pregnancy: Week 21

I almost am afraid to write this. Afraid I will jinx myself. But I feel good. Really good in fact. My energy level is not too bad, I am contantly hungry, and I am not too uncomfotable yet. All I think about is food: what I am going to eat, when I am going to eat it. It is crazy to think a month ago I couldn't eat anything. I could eat my weight in sushi, mexican, and chocolate. Ahhhh, the sweet honeymoon period of pregnancy :)

This week was my "official" 20 week survey ultrasound. Usually people find out what they are having during this ultrasound but lucky me I have my girl LeeAnn who told me weeks ago we were expecting 2 more little girls :) They measured my cervix and checked my placenta, measured each of the babies to track their development. Everything looked good. The babies were measuring right on schedule and while baby B was a little smaller it wasn't by much. They worry about twin to twin transfusion syndrome with identical twins sharing the same placenta. It is diagnosed by more that a 20 percent difference in size/weight. My placenta also appeared to be somewhat close to the opening of my cervix but they determined it was nothing to worry about right now. It is pretty common for it to move farther up in the uterus as the uterus grows. The twins were both head down and they are still having trouble determining baby A and baby B. Baby A is labeled such because in theory she is closest to the opening of the cervix and will be the first one out. The issue is that they keep switching places! Sometimes A's head is farther down, sometimes B's head is farther down. For now we are sticking with A being on my right side and B being on my left side.
My doctors appointment went well. I gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks making my total weight gain thus far 14 pounds. WOW! Nothing like vacation to pack on the pounds. I was measuring about the same as 2 weeks ago which I found interesting. 27 cm which if I were having a singleton would put me at about 27 weeks or 7 weeks ahead. They measure your uterus from pelvic bone to fundus (the top of the uterus). For singleton pregnancies every cm coresponds to another week. So, in essence I should be carrying what will feel like a full term baby here in a month or so!! Dr. P told me that as long as baby A continues to be head down he will let me deliver them naturally. I would really like to avaid a c-section but we shall see what these little ones have in store for me. Lots of time and room to move still.
The babies are about the size of carrots. 10.5 onches from head to heel and weighing about 3/4 of a pound.

In other news, I took a little tumble down the basement stairs today. I was fine and so were the babies but I bought myself 4 hours in L&D to monitor the babies.  I am still struggling with my sciatic nerve and sometimes my hip/leg just gives out so down I tumbled. I have a nice bruise on my butt but everyone is fine otherwise, thank God.

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me girlie! Taking on Disney at 20 weeks with TWINS! I could barely make it through a 10 minute shopping spree at Target and I was only having one. I'm so glad you were able to have this special trip with Grace before the twins arrive. It looks like things are progressing well. Take care of yourself and watch those stairs...I still have nightmares from my tumble at the Freaky Tiki :)

    ReplyDelete